Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Squash Ravioli


(picture from familyfun.com)

YUM!!  I got this recipe from HERE.  I love cooking!  Especially during the holidays. 
This will make your house smell festive.

Here are the ingredients:
2 c. butternut squash
1 T. Milk
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
1/8 t. nutmeg
2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
3 large eggs
1 stick butter
12 fresh sage leaves

Here is what I did...
I took my butternut squash and cut it in half and removed the seeds.  I placed it in a pan with some water in it.  I cooked it at 350, covered for about an hour (I checked it after 30 minutes and had to add more water)


I cut up the squash after about an hour and let it cook without water and uncovered for a little bit (about 20 mintues).  Then I needed 2 cups cut up.  I took off the rind and had a lot left over!  I am going to make this into baby food.  (You will see a post about this later on)


Then, I started making my pasta.  I would do this differently next time!!  This is the part that didn't work very well at all!!  They told me to make a flour mound on my counter (DO IT IN A BOWL!!) Then to mix up 3 large eggs and 1/2 t. salt in a bowl (they didn't tell me how well to mix it, I learned you need to mix it REALLY well!!)  Mix it until it is well whipped and light!

Then pour it into your flour mound (in a bowl!) and incorporate the flour into the egg mixture little by little.  (This is where my BIG problems started!  My mound started to not be that great of a mound, but more like a volcano... with egg mixture running down the sides!)

Mix the dough well and divide it into two balls.  Cover them with plastic wrap and let them sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. 

Then finish your squash mixture.  After your squash has cooled for about 5 minutes or so, transfer it to a medium size bowl and add 1 Tablespoon of milk, 1/2 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese (the only kind my husband will eat), and 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg.

That looks fabulous!  Mix it well until it looks... like mashed potatoes (it looked like babyfood to me.. but that is just because that has been on my mind)  This is what mine looked like (halfway through... forgot to take one after I got done mixing it)


Then to finish up making your pasta, roll it out as thin as you can (to about the thickness of a dime it says- we didn't get ours that thin! but then again I didn't get my eggs mixted that well either). 



Then use a glass, circle cutter, or in my case I used part of my Pampered Chef measure all cup.



Then I put a heaping 1/2 Tablespoon of mixture in each one.


Covered them obviously with another disk, and then used a fork to press down the sides.


I put them in a pot of boiling water and watched for them to float (about 2-3 minutes) then I let them cook for about 10 more minutes or until they are tender.  I then took them out with a slotted spoon (so they wouldn't all fall apart on me) and put them in a strainer.

Ok, so not as lovely as the ones from Family Fun, but they were good!  My noodles were not as good as they could of been had I done better on mixing the eggs.  For the sauce it is just butter and sage leaves, let it boil for a little for the butter to take on the flavor of the sage leaves a little. 

It only made about 15 for us but is supposed to make about 30.  We had a lot of squash mixture left over and could have made about 30 if our dough had turned out.  Over all- VERY tasty!  You can add more fresh parmesan on top when you eat it if you want!  YUM... I am already wanting to make it again!

1 comments:

Susan

This recipe looks fabulous! I usually buy the squash ravioli at Costco, but this would be better tasting and cost much less. You've given me the courage to try making my own pasta, which I've never done.
Susan

Swagbucks: The best!