Monday, April 26, 2010

Gardening: Square Foot Gardening

I came across Square Foot Gardening about 3 years ago (soon after I got married and we moved into our house) and totally love it!  It is SO much easier to do than have a HUGE area to till, weed and... weed!  You can buy the book HERE
 All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More in Less Space!

This is the basics:

You create a 4x4 square foot garden bed

We did 4 basic squares and used a drip system to water them.  Then we nailed nails onto the inside of the boards to use to tie string to for our grids. 

Each square is a square foot (hence the name... square foot gardening!)

Here is where I tried to do the vining peas.... so far that hasn't worked out so well for me...


Here are some pictures of my garden after a few things grew:
It was fun to mix flowers and vegetables.


My harvest towards the end of the season.

I soon learned that regular tomatoes do not have enough time to get red in my area, so now I just plant cherry or roma tomatoes.

That was my first year doing square foot gardening!  You can go to their website for more tips and also to buy boxes!  This is new since I did my boxes- it would probably be easier to just buy from them (but probably not cheaper...)

Anyways-- How do you garden!?  What has worked for you?  If you have any other questions feel free to email me or leave a comment and I will try to answer it next week or via email.  Enjoy your gardens!


0 comments:

Swagbucks: The best!