I have always wanted to plant an embedded garden but wasn't exactly sure how to go about it. That's why I loved the book Starter Vegetable Gardens by Barbara Pleasant. The book features 24 no fail plans for organic gardens. One of the things I like about this book is that it gives each garden a 3 year plan, starting simpler in year one and adding on in years two and three. My husband and I started a garden this year using some embedded gardening techniques.
We started with a small manageable garden and have already harvested spinach, lettuce and strawberries with a lot more to come. We are already talking about how to expand what we have for next year.
I like the technique shown for growing pole beans. They use a pole in the middle with about 6 strings coming down from the pole like a tee-pee. The beans grow upward and the string and pole are able to support their weight. It is very pretty to look at and very practical way to grow beans.
Just one more thing and then I'll let you win, buy or check the book out on your own. I like that she tells about color chunking vegetables to make your vegetable garden just as beautiful as a flower garden. For people with limited space using the right vegetable plants can double for the visual effect a flower garden usually gives and the productivity a vegetable garden gives you.
You can own this book yourself and start on your way to having a beautiful garden in no time. Just follow the criteria below. Good luck!
Here's how to enter this giveaway:
1. Follow Storey Publishing on Facebook (only available to those who haven't done it yet)
2. Follow SMS's blog (only available to those who have not done it yet)
3. Become a fan on Facebook (extra entry only available to those who haven't done it yet
4. "Like" this post on Facebook.
5. Tell someone about all the giveaways SMS has weekly. You get one entry for telling someone and an extra entry if that person becomes a fan on Facebook or a SMS follower. (up to 3 additional entries available for this one)
Giveaway ends at midnight 6/30 (PDT). Winner will be chosen via random.org and will have 48 hours to claim their prize. Winner will be posted on blog and if an email is given, they will be contacted via email as well. Open to US contestants only.
Disclosure: This review is based on my honest unbiased opinion of Storey Publishing. You may or may not agree with my opinion. I was sent their product free of charge to review. No one from Storey Publishing was involved in the writing of this post.